Effective as of December 2020
The GlucoContro Online Web App is operated by Ascensia Diabetes Care Holdings AG (“Ascensia,” “we,” or “us”), based in Peter Merian-Strasse 90, 4052 Basel, Switzerland. Ascensia is the controller of your personal data processed via the GlucoContro Online Web App.
The GlucoContro Online Web App is a secure cloud-based diabetes management service that is a part of the Ascensia Diabetes Care portfolio of diabetes management products and services. The GlucoContro Online Web App is compatible with the Ascensia portfolio of blood glucose meters (Cable Connected Meter) and other Bluetooth (Wireless BLE Connected Meter) enabled devices or other products designated to be compatible with the GlucoContro Online Web App.
Residents of the European Economic Area, United Kingdom, and Switzerland: Ascensia relies on the legal basis of consent to process your health-related information for the purpose of providing you with the GlucoContro Online Web App and the Contour Cloud Account. You may withdraw your consent at any time by using the “Delete Account” option in the Contour App.
Using the GlucoContro Online Web App
The GlucoContro Online Web App can be accessed using your existing Contour Diabetes App cloud account. You will be asked to accept the EULA terms and conditions.
Creating a GlucoContro Online Web App Account
Once you complete your registration for a GlucoContro Online Web App account, your personal data will be backed up to the cloud. Creating a GlucoContro Online Web App account will ensure that the Ascensia Meter you pair with the GlucoContro Online Web App can sync information and settings, such as Target Ranges.
Personal Data Submission and Collection
- GlucoContro Online Web App Account Registration and Profile Details: When you create a GlucoContro Online Web App account, the following information will be stored: your name, email address, country, phone number, preferred language, office location, company name, authentication details and other registration information, including your chosen password for a GlucoContro Online Web App account. We may also capture information about your Connected Meters such as the product model, serial number, software version and settings.
- Access to Mobile Device System Services: Depending on your mobile device operating system, the GlucoContro Online Web App may access certain system services on your device, to allow you to import data (e.g., photo, contact information) into the app. Access to these system services allows the GlucoContro Online Web App to function properly, and does not result in Ascensia having access to, collecting or storing any information relating to such system services. You can manage the GlucoContro Online Web App access to these system services in your mobile device/the GlucoContro Online Web App settings.
- Customer Services: If you contact us about the GlucoContro Online Web App, your GlucoContro Online Web App account or for any other reason relating to customer services, we will keep a record of that contact. You may provide us with personal data by completing forms by e-mail as part of an order for products or services, where you have enquiries or requests or when you report a problem with the GlucoContro Online Web App and similar situations where you choose to give us your information.
- Device Information and Usage Details: When you use the GlucoContro Online Web App, we will automatically receive technical information, including the type of device you use, a unique device identifier (such as your device IMEI number or MAC address of the device’s wireless network interface), your operating system and software version number, IP address, the type of browser you use, the country and language code and time zone setting. We will also collect information about your use of the system, such as any meter errors, log files and administration data so that we can ensure good operation of the GlucoContro Online Web App.
- Location Information: We will collect information about your location (i.e., country) from information derived from your IP and browser. We use this information to improve our products and services, including to identify the distribution of GlucoContro Online Web App and Ascensia meter users.
The Reasons For Processing Your Personal Data
- with your consent to provide you with the GlucoContro Online Web App and its services, functionalities, and to notify you of any changes to:
- permit you to send reports of your blood sugar,
- understand the locations where the GlucoContro Online Web App and our meters are used to help improve our products and services, including in connection with our meter placement strategy,
- present information to you about your blood glucose testing and measurements to help you understand patterns and trends relating to your diabetes so that you may better manage your diabetes,
- allow you to participate in interactive features of the GlucoContro Online Web App, when you choose to do so,
- provide you with cloud services, and
- respond to any request we may receive from you, such as requests for support.
- for purposes related to public health related to medical devices, to conduct research and for our legitimate business interests including for statistical purposes to:
- continue to develop, test and improve the GlucoContro Online Web App, including to offer new functionality and features,
- better understand how you interact with the GlucoContro Online Web App, including its functionality and features, as well as ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner,
- help us fix any issues with the GlucoContro Online Web App, including where we respond to your questions or respond to your request for support, maintenance, troubleshooting, or other performance issues,
- conduct data analysis, testing and research, including for statistical purposes,
- develop and implement security tools and mechanisms as part of our efforts to keep the GlucoContro Online Web App safe and secure, and
- issue a safety notice or corrective action related to the GlucoContro Online Web App or our meters whenever necessary.
- for our legitimate business purposes relating to direct marketing, and where required, consent to:
- invite you to participate in surveys or opinion groups or other promotional and marketing activities related to the operation and your use of the GlucoContro Online Web App or concerning our products and services, including in conjunction with selected third parties,
- measure and understand the effectiveness of advertising we may serve and to deliver relevant advertising, and
- make suggestions and recommendations about products or services that may interest you, including to receive such information from your local Ascensia company, as described in the “Marketing” section below.
- where required by law, including legal requirements relating to the safety of medical devices.
- determining and improving the effectiveness of diabetes management techniques, therapies, treatments and costs,
- researching and evaluating how the GlucoContro Online Web App is provided and used including in relation to marketing strategies,
- evaluating the performance, impact and experience of the GlucoContro Online Web App on users (including based on user demographics, such as geography),
- evaluating the performance and interface of the GlucoContro Online Web App with blood glucose meters,
- enhancing the functionality and features of the GlucoContro Online Web App,
- testing and validating GlucoContro Online Web App upgrades and improvement, including in relation to our medical devices, such as our diabetes meters and test strips,
- Ascensia operating and business strategy for research and development, distribution and business efficiencies and operations, and
- scientific research, statistical purposes and analysis, relating to diabetes, including publishing articles in medical and/or peer-reviewed publications and journals.
For reasons of public interest in the area of public health relating to medical devices and/or for our legitimate business purposes, Ascensia may also collect and use technical information about your smartphone, mobile devices and related software, hardware and peripherals that are internet-based or wireless to improve our products and services and to provide with you the various functionalities of the GlucoContro Online Web App.
We may contact you to tell you about products and services that we feel may be of interest to you or that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about. You may also be contacted by your local Ascensia company, a distributor of Ascensia products, or one of our selected partners, in each case, where you have consented to receive these communications.
You may opt out of receiving our marketing communications at any time by contacting customer service by visiting https://www.diabetes.ascensia.com, by using the unsubscribe link in any of our communications, or by changing your preferences in the GlucoContro Online Web App.
We will continue to contact you for non-marketing related purposes where we need to send you information about the GlucoContro Online Web App system, your GlucoContro Online Web App account or where we need to issue a field corrective or safety notice. We may send information to you via GlucoContro Online Web App notifications, reminders or alerts to inform you of new developments.
Sharing Your Personal Data
- third parties you direct us to share your information with;
- distributors of our products, if you live in a country where we use a distributor;
- our selected partners where you have chosen to participate in surveys, contests, opinion groups or other marketing-related initiatives relating to your use of our products and services. The third parties will use the information we provide to them, along with any information you provide during your entry, request, or participation. These third parties are contractually obligated to keep all such information confidential and to only use it for the purposes for which it was provided; or
- a prospective seller or buyer in the event of a sale or purchase of any Ascensia business or asset so that the buyer can continue to provide you with information and services.
We may share your personal data with our distributors, business partners, or service providers, including for marketing purposes or where you have chosen to share your personal data through various features and functionality provided via the GlucoContro Online Web App. In each case, we will only share your personal data with third parties so that we may provide, maintain, host and support the GlucoContro Online Web App.
Using the GlucoContro Online Web App to Share Data
The GlucoContro Online Web App allows you to share your information stored in the Web App (including health-related information) with a doctor, medical provider or other person of your choice. If you do choose to share your personal data with anybody, please do take care and make sure your personal data is only shared with intended people.
Please note that any sharing of your personal data is wholly at your own risk and Ascensia is not responsible for securing or protecting the information that you choose to send to other persons via the GlucoContro Online Web App. You should be aware that there are risks involved in sharing information over the internet, including the potential for such information to be intercepted by unauthorised third parties. For this reason we have enabled a 'passphrase' security and encryption system that provides encryption and security against unauthorised use.
We recommend that you exercise caution when choosing to share your personal data.
Storing Your Personal Data
Your personal data in your GlucoContro Online Web App account may be stored and processed on servers located in one of our regional facilities which may include data hosted with one of our service providers. We endeavour to store your personal data within the region where you reside, but we may transfer your personal data outside of your country of residence, including to the United States, which may provide for different privacy or data protection rules than those that apply in your country to administer and provide you with support and technical services for your GlucoContro Online Web App account.
If you are a resident of a country with data localization laws, your personal data will be stored on servers located within your country with our cloud service provider who is our data processor for the hosting of GlucoContro Online Web App accounts.
We have implemented appropriate safeguards to protect your personal data when it is transferred, including the execution of data transfer agreements with recipients of the information.
You may also store your personal data on your Google Drive account in which case Google’s privacy notice and legal terms must be accepted as this is hosted and managed by Google.
Keeping Your Personal Data Secure
You are responsible for protecting against unauthorised access to the GlucoContro Online Web App and your GlucoContro Online Web App account. Ascensia recommends that you use strong password security, by using a mix of letters, numbers and symbols, and a different password for your GlucoContro Online Web App account than you use for any other accounts that you may have. You must keep your account information password and passphrase confidential and not share it with anyone. Ascensia is not responsible for any lost, stolen or compromised passwords/passphrases or for any access to your GlucoContro Online Web App account from unauthorised users where caused by you. If you think your account has been compromised, please contact us as soon as possible. For Customer Service please visit https://www.diabetes.ascensia.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although Ascensia will do its best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted to the GlucoContro Online Web App and any transmission is at your own risk.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
We may use information collection and tracking technologies for certain services and features made accessible to you via the GlucoContro Online Web App to remember things about you so that we can provide you with a better experience. Below we provide information on the technologies we may use for automatic information collection, why we use them, and your choices.
Cookies are small data files stored on your browser or device. They are designed to remember things that a user has done while on a website in the past, which can include logging in or clicking on links.
- Strictly necessary cookies: Required for the operation of certain websites made accessible via the GlucoContro Online Web App. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of the web-based App, to move around the website and to use its features.
- Analytical/performance cookies: Allows Ascensia to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around certain web pages made accessible via the GlucoContro Online Web App. This helps us to improve the way such websites work, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies: These cookies recognize you when you return to our web-based App. This enables us to personalise our content for you.
Some of these are persistent cookies that may be used if you log on to restricted areas to remember who you are. Others are session cookies that may be used for anonymous identification of a website visit for technical purposes only. Session cookies are stored only temporarily during the browsing sessions and are deleted once the browser is closed.
How We Use These Technologies
- Where required, to log you into the services we provide; enable us to show your account data; remember your settings and preferences, for example, your choice of language or region; and to help us personalise your experience and keep your data and the services we provide safe and secure.
- To collect anonymous statistical information on how visitors use our services so that we can make improvements to its usability and to improve content delivery value.
Although most browsers are set-up to accept cookies automatically, it may be possible to refuse to accept browser and device cookies by activating the appropriate setting on your browser or device. Please note that if you choose not to permit cookies some features of our services may not function properly or be accessible.
You may use self-regulation programs available in your jurisdiction to manage the way that companies other than Google advertise to you, such as the EU-based Your Online Choices.
Do Not Track
Ascensia does not collect personal data about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or online services. We also do not allow third parties to collect personal data about your online activities over time and across other websites or online services when you use the GlucoContro Online Web App. We do not respond to browser “Do Not Track” signals.
Residents of the European Economic Area (EEA), United Kingdom or Switzerland: Ascensia will continue to store your personal data while you have an active GlucoContro Online Web App account. The section on “GlucoContro Online Web App Account Deletion”, below, explains how you can delete your GlucoContro Online Web App account and what happens to your personal data once your account has been deleted.
GlucoContro Online Web App Account Deletion
If you would like to delete your GlucoContro Online Web App account, you may do so by contacting us using the form at https://diabetes.ascensia.com or emailing email@example.com. Please be aware that if you delete your account we will retain aggregated and de-identified information and we may need to retain certain personal data as required by law. Where we are not otherwise subject to a legal requirement to retain records, we will retain geo-location information for nine months from the date of collection. We retain all other data in your GlucoContro Online Web App account for two years from the date it is uploaded to enable you to access and export such data, if required, in connection with an insurance claim. We also retain de-identified/pseudonymized analytical information for five years from the date of de-identification/pseudonymization, for the purposes described in “The Reasons For Processing Your Personal Data” section above.
Once your GlucoContro Online Web App account and any associated personal data has been deleted, you will no longer have access to the account and deletion of your account may be irreversible. You may not therefore be able to reactivate your GlucoContro Online Web App account or retrieve any personal data. You may want to download and save any required information before deleting your account or requesting that we delete your account.
If you have chosen to share your GlucoContro Online Web App account information with a third party such as your healthcare provider or other person and you delete your account, those persons will no longer be able to synchronize with your account information, including information about your blood glucose readings. Any historical data shared with the HealthCare provider will be retained as medical records of the Healthcare Provider. All other persons will have no further access to your historical data.
Ascensia reserves the right to delete GlucoContro Online Web App accounts that remain inactive for an extended period of time. Where a GlucoContro Online Web App account remains inactive, we will notify you in advance so that you have an opportunity to ensure your account stays current and available for your use.
Exercising Your Rights
If you need to update your information you can do this through the GlucoContro Online Web App system. If you are unable to access that information for any reason, you can notify Ascensia of any changes to (or errors in) your information and we will update it for you by submitting a written request for changes using the contact form at https://www.diabetes.ascensia.com.
We may ask you for additional information to confirm your identity and for security purposes, before disclosing information requested to you.
Where you have been asked to consent to the processing of your personal data, we will provide you with an opportunity to withdraw your consent. Any withdrawal of consent will not affect the lawfulness of the processing based on your consent before the withdrawal. Please also note that where you withdraw consent, we will only stop processing your personal data that relates to the withdrawal of consent.
To exercise any of your rights in connection with your personal data, please contact Ascensia using the contact form at https://www.diabetes.ascensia.com, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Ascensia Diabetes Care Holdings AG, Peter Merian-Strasse 90, 4052 Basel, Switzerland. We will process any request in line with any local laws and our policies and procedures. If you are located in the EEA, you have the right to lodge a complaint about how we process your personal data with the supervisory authority in your country.
Residents of the European Economic Area (EEA), United Kingdom, or Switzerland:
You may have the right to: (a) access the personal data we hold about you; (b) request we correct any inaccurate personal data we hold about you; (c) request we delete any personal data we hold about you; (d) restrict the processing of personal data we hold about you; (e) object to the processing of personal data we hold about you; and/or (f) receive any personal data we hold about you in a structured and commonly used machine-readable format or have such personal information transmitted to another company.
Residents of the People's Republic of China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Indonesia, South Korea, and Malaysia:
You may have the right to: (a) access the personal data we hold about you; (b) request we correct any inaccurate personal data we hold about you; (c) request we delete any personal data we hold about you; and/or (d) restrict the processing of personal data we hold about you.